Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A few of my favorite things

Recipes I've made in the past that were HUGE hits with people:

Chinese Lemon Chicken
Review: Out of curiousity, I ordered the dish from a good Chinese food place nearby. This recipe RUINED this as a takeout dish for me. It was absolutely delicious. My gauge was that my S.O. (who is generally a picky eater) asked to take the leftovers in for lunch the next day. 5/5!

Chicken Milano
Review: This one has become a default for dinner. It's insanely easy to make. I use pre-minced garlic (the stuff that comes in a huge jar) so it is just a matter of defrosting the chicken and spicing it. Almost no prep time whatsover. This goes really well with a side of garlic bread. Another 5/5

Chicken Piccata
Review: For some reason this recipe initially scared me. It was almost offensively easy to make. I recommend doubling the sauce and serving it over rice (I actually boiled the sauce and then cooked the rice in only that). If you like lemon, this dish is phenomenal. 4/5.

Churros!
Review: This was a huge mess to make and back before I had a dishwasher. I STILL don't have a deep fryer, so this was done in a big frying pan with me wearing glasses and a sweater to avoid splattering. The result was absolutely delicious and everyone I shared them with agreed they tasted amazing, but I don't intend to do this again unless/until I get a deep fryer. Oh, if you lack a pastry bag, you can do what I did. I cut a hole at the bottom of a plastic bag and it worked almost as well. 3/5

Cheddar Baked Chicken
Review: I don't make this often as this is one of those dishes that tastes fantastic but leaves you feeling kind of oily for eating this. Once the cheese gets crispy, this is one of the most delicious things ever. I was hesitant to make this as rice crispies seems like such an odd addition to a dinner food. However I've made this for multiple people and all of them love the crispy taste of this meal. If you ever make this, try using different kinds of cheeses. I found that a nice taco blend or something spicy makes this dish into something new! 3.5/5 (points lost for health factor)

Grilled Shrimp Scampi
Review: I discovered after making this that my S.O. doesn't like scampi too much. Oops. It came out well though, and he ate it and enjoyed it, which does say a lot. This recipe makes a TON of food. Either invite a lot of people over or be prepared to eat this for leftovers for the next few days. Which isn't an entirely unpleasant situation to be honest. 4/5

No comments: